Hey people! So, Breaking Bad has been done for a while (so sad) but still lingers in all our memories. That means for Halloween 2014, Walter White is STILL going to be a hot costume for the male folk. Dressing as Walt is not expensive, has a timeless cool factor and brings up many great memories when people see you at the Halloween Party. Yes, dressing as Walter White is an amazing icebreaker!
Now if you’re wanting to be the perfect Walter White you need to have an eye for detail. When dressing as dear old Walt, there are some easy options and some harder options. But you have choice!
We’ve listed each option of Walter White costume in order of ease when getting your costume together.
1. Regular Walt
Walt is a great choice because he has a few key elements in his appearance, which make it easy to create a costume from things you mostly already have.
What you need:
- A bald cap (or this bald cap) (or just shave your head if you dare)
- For early Walt, a fake mustache – reddish-brown, or grow one.
For later-series Walt, a full goatee.
Choose your preference.
You’re better off growing your own. Worst case you could mascara to shade your upper lip.
- If you don’t want to/can’t grow a goatee – you could spend a couple of bucks and stick one on! Since we first started this site, nearly 10 years ago, we’ve noticed that fake facial hair has improved a lot!
- Large, Aviator-style, rectangle wire-rimmed glasses (check your local thrift shop or get these)
- A button-up shirt. This can be checked, or a single color such as green, blue, purple, or beige.
- (Optional) a white t-shirt underneath the button up. Make sure the t-shirt collar is visible.
- Light/dark dress pants with belt (tuck the shirt in)
- (Optional) A zip-up jacket with collar. Wear it open. These types of jackets are often called Golf jackets
- Dark or brown loafers.
A final note: you can vary the shade of your clothes to create a more/less evil Walt. Choose lighter hues for a more innocent Walt; and go darker for devious, evil Walt.
To appear as Heisenberg, you take the above costume and change it a little bit:
What You Need
- A black Pork Pie hat with hat band. It has to have a flat top.Now proper brand new Pork Pie hats aren’t cheap (can be over $100 new) so again check your local thrift shop. To get Heisenberg right, the hat is the most important item, so here are a few places you can get it online. The cheapest place we found was on Ebay:
- Replace the regular glasses with some wrap-around sunglasses. When shopping, look for ‘Terminator style’, or ‘Wayfarer’/’Rounded rectangular’ shape. A safe bet is this $11 pair from Amazon – or these are cool too for $12.99.
- It’s OK to have a mustache or a goatee, but my pick would be to stick with the mustache.
3. Lost-the-Plot Walt
This one requires some balls because you have to show up to the Halloween party in your undies!
What You Need
- Brown high-top loafers like these
- Brown socks with diamond pattern such as these
- White mens briefs – you need the classic Dad underwear 🙂
- Green button-down collared shirt with pocket
- As above, large, Aviator-style, clear rectangle wire-rimmed glasses;
- … and a Walt mustache (it’ll be best to grow your own for this one)
- (Optional) Fake Beretta pistol (Decide on whether carrying a gun around to a Halloween party will be good for your health!) I would suggest this replica Beretta M92F M9 Pistol because it looks very similar to the picture above BUT it can’t be mistaken for a real gun AND it’s a lighter so you can look the part and help people light up too!
4. Walt the Meth Cook
What You Need
- Yellow Hazmat Suit – you have some choices with this one:
- Black respirator mask with red or white filters
- These 3M ones are pretty close if you want red filters
- Blue chemical resistant gloves
- These ones are the real deal
- As above, Walter White glasses and goatee
- White t-shirt for underneath
- (Optional) Blue plastic chips in a clear plastic bag (the fruits of your labor!) – y
- ou can get this here as candy, which is great for Halloween!
So now you have everything you need to pull off an authentic WW costume. Go out there and get inspired! And if you need even more inspiration, we’ve collected a bunch of pictures of committed Halloween junkies who’ve done Walter White already. And if you are looking for a REALLY specific outfit, then you NEED to check out Walt’s Wardrobe – so cool!